Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tidbits

I ran 13 miles with Erin on Sunday. It went really well and throughout the run I had minimal fatigue and we ended up running most miles at about a 8:30-8:40 pace. It helped to have a new route, and some good conversation. PLUS, it wasn't hot and we had a great breeze, which I am sure helped!

But now to what happened after the run. I think I made a mistake....

After the run I immediately drank a cup of water but than had to drive home which is about a 20 minute drive. I got home and I was starving....so I ate half a banana and my husband suggested we should go to Cracker Barrel which sounded SOOO good! We got in the car, and 30 minutes later we are at Cracker Barrel to be faced with a 30 minute wait. I really think I should of ate something more than a banana when I got home. I started to feel really tired and a little sick, like that low blood sugar feeling. I felt better after I ate, but I was exhausted! When we got home I took an hour nap but was still just dragging.

So, after my next long run I plan on having something to eat in the car on the way home. And not letting so much time pass between the end of my run and when I eat. I also think I might get some gu or something a little more substantial than gummi bears to fuel during the run.

All in all the run was a huge confidence booster! I was becoming very nervous about the 1/2 marathon I am running in about a month...wondering if I could make it 13 miles, but now I know I can....and now I know I can more than likely run it faster than the 9 minute mile plan I had!

My plan for the next month is to increase my long runs by one mile until the last weekend before the race where I will drop back down to 11 or 12 miles. So, I should cap my mileage at 15. It's just so exciting that I am breaking these personal records of mileage ran. I never would have imagined I would be running a 1/2 marathon. I am very excited!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats... when and where is the marathon? If we're around, I'd love to come and cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did great! Not many people can run negative splits in training runs like that - you really finished strong. I totally understand about the low blood sugar feeling. I have a glass of chocolate milk and a clif bar with some fruit right after I run...otherwise I get really dizzy with a killer head ache. I've read you should try to eat something within an hour of your run.

    ReplyDelete