Monday, April 30, 2012

Bun Run 5K Recap

I woke up at 3am on the race morning with a scorpion climbing on my neck.  Luckily in full half asleep ninja style I felt it, grabbed it off my neck, and chucked it across the room.  Don't ask me how I didn't get bit.  It's beyond me.  Needless to say my adrenaline was pumping and my heart was beating out of my chest, so I didn't really fall back asleep.

We got down there about an hour before race time.  We met up with Jessica and did some stretching and a 1/2 mile warm up.

Before I knew it, it was 8:15 and I figured we should go get in line for our 8:30 start.  What a mistake we made!!!  The smarter people got lined up early, so we were literally in the back.  Behind strollers, behind kids, behind everyone.  It's easier to push yourself up through the crowd a little in the corral when you don't have a dog.  AND when the people with strollers aren't all in front. (I don't get this by the way, WALKERS AND STROLLERS should start in another corral!!!)

So when the gun went off....well it was a clusterf___!  Again not easy to dodge walkers and strollers with a dog in tow.  He was pretty confused, and I was pretty much dragging him through.  At one point these two ladies in front of me stopped...I mean dead stopped in front of me and I felt bad but I kind of had to shove them out of the way, I had too much forward momentum going to stop.  (AGAIN,You don't STOP in the middle of the road! This should be common sense, right?!)

It took about a 1/2 mile to break away from the walkers, slow runners, strollers, and other people.  After that it was just kind of hard to get Cooter going.  Lots of distractions. I lost Jessica somewhere around mile 1.  Instead of looking for her Cooter and I pressed on.  There was a lot of "c'mon Cooter" and "Your a good boy", etc...  It wasn't his day.  He was behind me at the end of his leash for almost the whole run.  The last mile of the race was straight in to the wind, and a gradual uphill.  It wasn't an easy last mile.

Our splits per my Garmin were 7:41/7:24/7:37 And a total time of a little over 23 minutes.  (Sorry don't have my Garmin right in front of me)

I waited around after the race because I wanted to see where we stood in the results.  Supposedly they had some technical difficulties and couldn't get the results posted at the race.  And here is the kicker....they posted some results later in the day....and I am not on any list, on any results.  I don't know if my chip didn't get read, or what happened.  I emailed the race directors and sent them pics of me coming in to the finish.  With other runners around me where you can clearly see their bib#'s and mine. They emailed me back and said they are working on it.

What really really upsets me about this, is that I think we made 2nd place dog.  And I think I might have placed 3rd in my age group.  PLUS, I would LOVE to know my official chip time.  POOR POOR race timing!  I am hoping they email me back again today and let me know what happened.

I was really happy with our time, and with the way Cooter ran the race.  I felt like we did good with a slow start.  Saturday before the race I did go buy some boots.  The guy at REI where I bought them recommended this cream/wax that climbers use on cracks in their hands.  He said he had luck using it on his dog's feet when they were cracked.  I applied it Saturday night and Sunday morning and I think it really helped.  I didn't get a chance to do a test run in the boots, so I didn't want to spring that on him race morning.

And a BIG Congratulations to Erin for winning 2nd place female in the 10K!

Thanks to my husband and kids for coming to watch me run!

All in all a great race day.  I didn't have any pain before, during, or after, and for that I am thankful.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really sorry about your results - that's ridiculous and inexcusable. That seems to happen quite often with that particular timing company, which is why I will never use them for Cupid's Chase. I emailed them about my results but no reply back.

    Congrats to you and Cooter. Those are some really strong splits, especially after being stuck in the back!